Garlic and ginger vegetable dauphinoise
- November 2010
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 200ml whole milk
- 450ml double cream
- 1 knob of preserved ginger in syrup
- 500g parsnips
- 350g carrots
- 350g beetroot
- Put the garlic in a small pan of boiling water, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until very tender. Remove and crush to a purée in a pestle and mortar, or press through a fine sieve, then add to a pan with the milk and cream. Chop the ginger finely and add to the pan. Season well, bring just to the boil, then remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Scrub the veg well (no need to peel), then slice very thinly (a mandoline is best for this) into a large bowl. Toss to mix and spoon half into a 1½ litre ovenproof dish. Pour over half the gingery, garlicky cream mixture. Top with the remaining vegetables and the rest of the cream, then press the veg down with the back of a spatula. The cream should come to just under the top of the veg.
- Bake for 1½-2 hours, pressing the vegetables down gently once or twice. The cream will be absorbed gradually. Test the vegetables with a knife to check when they are tender. When cooked, remove from the oven and leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Black rice salad with roasted carrots, shallots and ricotta
Serve this black rice salad as a vegetarian main or side. The dollops of creamy...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...