Chargrilled asparagus and halloumi
- January 2006
- Serves 6
- Ready in 30 minutes
The barbecue gives this chargrilled asparagus and halloumi dish gorgeous smoky flavour. Alternatively you can cook it on the hob using a cast iron griddle.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 2 x 240g packs halloumi, drained and sliced into 12 large, thin slices
- 375g asparagus, trimmed
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 tsp mixed peppercorns, roughly ground
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 3 tbsp medium-sized capers
- 2 lemons, each cut into 6 wedges
- Put the cheese and asparagus in separate dishes and pour 1 tablespoon of the oil over each. Scatter the ground peppercorns over each side of the cheese and a little salt over the asparagus.
- Mix the lemon juice with a pinch of sugar and whisk in 2 more tablespoons of the oil. Season with a pinch of salt and add the chopped parsley. Set aside.
- Soak the capers in cold water for 5 minutes, then drain and dry on kitchen paper. Heat the remaining tablespoon of the oil over a high heat and fry the capers until dry and crisp. Tip onto kitchen paper to drain.
- Heat a cast-iron griddle pan over a high heat. When it starts to smoke, turn the heat to medium and griddle the asparagus and lemon wedges on each side until tender – about 5 minutes. Cook the cheese for about 1 minute each side until nice brown stripes appear.
- Divide the asparagus and haloumi between 6 plates. Scatter with the crispy capers, pour over the dressing and drizzle with extra olive oil. Serve as hot as possible with the lemon wedges.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Asparagus, crispy potatoes and radishes with herb hollandaise
Packed with seasonal produce and topped with herby hollandaise, this spring salad with asparagus is...