Garlic potatoes and leeks
- October 2011
- Serves 6
- 15 minutes to make, 1 hour 5 minutes to cook
This side dish recipe is made with layers of potatoes and leeks in a creamy, herb infused sauce. British comfort food at its best.
- 19.2g (11.8g saturated)
- 30.7g (4.3g sugars)
- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 300g (about 2) leeks, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 1kg potatoes, sliced 0.5cm thick
- 350ml single cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Melt the butter in a pan, then add the leeks, garlic and most of the thyme. Cover with a disc of baking paper cut to the size of the pan, then put the lid on and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until just soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain. Lightly butter a large (about 1.6 litre) gratin dish, then add a layer of overlapping potato slices.
- Season the potatoes and cover with the leeks and all the juices, then add the final layer of potato slices and season again. Pour over the cream and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on top. Serve scattered with the remaining thyme.
Once cool, wrap the cooked gratin tightly in cling film, then foil. Freeze for up to 6 months. Cook from frozen in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until piping hot.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...