Creamy potato and wild garlic mash
- April 2012
- Serves 4-6 as a side
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook
The intense flavour of wild garlic in this mash recipe contrasts beautifully with the creamy, fluffy potatoes.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 7.7g (4.7g saturated)
- 30.4g (1.2g sugars)
- 1.5kg floury potatoes, such as maris piper, cut into chunks
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g wild garlic leaves, sliced (see tip)
- Generous splash of double cream
- Grating of nutmeg
- Put the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes until very tender, then drain and return to the pan briefly over a low heat to dry.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and fry the wild garlic for 30 seconds. Mash the potatoes with the cream, nutmeg and most of the garlicky butter. Stir through the fried wild garlic and the rest of the butter. Taste, season and serve.
Wild garlic grows in abundance all over the countryside – you can smell it after the rain in the spring. Pick it (make sure you’re allowed to!), then wash well when you get home. Its garlicky flavour is fresh and intense but not overpowering.
If you can’t find any wild garlic, add 2 peeled young garlic cloves to the pan with the potatoes and mash them in at the end.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Wild garlic recipes
Wild garlic and potato soup with garlic butter croutons
This creamy wild garlic and potato soup from Debbie Major is made even better with...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...