Gooey chocolate puds with whole cherry sauce
- July 2005
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 mins, oven time 8-10 mins
Impress at a dinner party with these gooey chocolate puds with whole cherry sauce. Even better, you can make them ahead and bake for 10 minutes when you’re ready.
- 40.4g (22.3g saturated)
- 55.3g (45.5g sugars)
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 100g cherries, halved and stoned, plus 100g cherries, stalks left on
- 150ml Moscato wine
- 175g unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra for greasing
- 175g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 4 eggs, plus 4 egg yolks
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 75g plain flour, sieved
- Put the light muscovado sugar into a pan with 2 tablespoons water. Heat for about 2 minutes, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved and is starting to turn syrupy. Add the halved cherries and cook, gently stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in the Moscato wine and bring to the boil. Bubble for about 5 minutes to reduce, then add the whole cherries and cook for a further minute. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/fan170C/ gas 5. Grease 6 x 8cm cooking rings and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper (you could use greased Yorkshire pudding tins instead).
- Put the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl resting over a pan of simmering water, making sure that the water doesn’t touch the bowl. Heat until melted, then stir once and remove the bowl from the pan.
- Whisk the whole eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar with an electric mixer until very pale, foamy and doubled in volume. Gently fold in the melted chocolate mixture, followed by the flour. Chill for 10 minutes, or until the mixture has firmed up slightly.
- Divide between the rings or tins and bake for 8-10 minutes, until risen and firm on the outside and squidgy in the centre. Remove the puds from the rings or tins and place each of them on an individual dish. Spoon the cooled sauce over and around each pud to serve.
The puds can be prepared in advance, chilled for up to 5 hours, then baked for 9-10 minutes when ready to eat.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chocolate fondants with mocha sauce
Serve these decadent chocolate puddings for dessert on Valentine’s Day.