Chocolate fondants with mocha sauce
- April 2007
- Serves 4 people
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 35 minutes in the oven, plus chilling
Serve these decadent chocolate puddings for dessert on Valentine’s Day.
- 43.9g (24.2g saturated)
- 57.3g (52.2g sugar)
- 100g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 150g good-quality plain chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 80g caster sugar
- 30g ground almonds
- 1½ tbsp plain flour, sifted
- ½ tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 50g white chocolate, chopped
- 60ml fresh strong espresso coffee
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease 4 x 150ml individual pudding moulds. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Put the butter and 100g plain chocolate in a pan over a low heat. Stir until the chocolate has melted, then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, using an electric hand whisk, beat the egg yolks and 55g of the caster sugar in a large bowl for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the melted chocolate mixture, ground almonds, plain flour and cocoa powder and fold in with a large metal spoon until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. While whisking, gradually mix in the remaining sugar, until stiff peaks form. Stir a little into the chocolate mixture to loosen, then gently fold in the remainder with a large metal spoon, until just combined.
- Divide the chocolate mixture between the moulds, gently levelling the surface. Place in a deep roasting tin and pour boiling water into the tin to come halfway up the sides of the moulds. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the pudding comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, gently melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a pan of just simmering water. Remove from the heat and briefly stir until smooth. Using a palette knife, thinly spread over the lined baking tray – so it’s 2mm thick. Chill for 10 minutes or until firm. Use a small heart-shaped cutter to cut out 4 hearts from the chocolate. Keep chilled until serving.
- To serve, place the remaining plain chocolate and espresso coffee in a heatproof bowl over a pan of just simmering water. When the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and stir until smooth
- Invert each pudding onto a plate and pour over the warm mocha sauce. To each with a white chocolate heart.
Make the chocolate hearts up to 3 days ahead – keep covered and chilled. Reheat in the oven (180°C/fan160°C/gas 4) for 10 minutes. Serve with the mocha sauce and white chocolate hearts.
Rate & review