Griddled mackerel fillets with fennel and cucumber coleslaw
- June 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 mins, plus 30 mins standing time
This recipe is low in calories, carbs and salt; a very healthy and attractive summer mackerel recipe using fennel.
- 28g (5.4g saturated)
- 4.4g (4.2g sugars)
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 large celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 4 large fresh mackerel fillets
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 15g fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-2½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- Shake all the dressing ingredients together with 2 tablespoons water in a clean jam jar. Season to taste.
- Put the cucumber, fennel and celery into a mixing bowl and pour over the dressing. Toss together, then cover and stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat until hot. Brush the fish with the oil, season and put skin-side down on the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until just cooked through.
- Spoon the coleslaw onto 4 plates, top with the fish and serve with boiled new potatoes and lemon wedges.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
November seasonal recipes
Mackerel flatbreads with pickled kohlrabi and parsley potatoes
A quick and easy way of serving mackerel, on flatbreads...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter