Spicy grilled mackerel with fennel coleslaw
- June 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make, 10 min to cook
Mackerel is a rich source of omega-3 oils and vitamin D, so it’s excellent for skin and bone health. A healthy, nutritious mackerel recipe.
- 24.5g (5g saturated)
- 9.4g (8.5g sugar)
- 150g fat-free natural yogurt
- 2-3 tsp creamed horseradish
- 1 medium fennel bulb (including fronds), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, cored, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 stick celery (including leaves), thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 4 fresh mackerel fillets, pin boned
- 2 tbsp roughly torn coriander leaves, to serve
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. To make the coleslaw, mix the yogurt and horseradish in a bowl, then add the fennel, apple, carrot and celery and mix. Leave for 10 minutes to let the flavours develop.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ground cumin and coriander, then sprinkle the mix over the flesh side of the mackerel fillets, rubbing in the spices a little. Place the fillets skin-side up on a lightly oiled baking sheet and grill for 4 minutes, then turn over and cook for 2-3 minutes more until the fish is cooked through.
- Serve the grilled mackerel fillets on the home-made coleslaw and sprinkle with the torn coriander leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Friday night dinners
Smoked mackerel with warm chickpea salad and harissa dip
This speedy salad recipe, with smoked mackerel and chickpeas, is a really quick and tasty...
Grilled mackerel, grapefruit and pesto freekeh salad
The combination of crispy grilled mackerel, sharp grapefruit and the nutty flavour of freekeh, all...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...