Halloumi-topped lentil stew
- March 2021
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 15 min, oven time 15 min
This spicy vegetarian lentil stew is packed with healthy vegetables and topped with slices of grilled halloumi for extra flavour.
Or, go vegan with your lentils and make this stunning pumpkin black dhal with herb and cashew sauce.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 16g (7.3g saturated)
- 55.3g (11.9g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1-1½ tbsp berbere spice mix (see Know-how)
- 2 x 250g packs ready-cooked puy lentils
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 100g kale, shredded
- Large handful chopped parsley and coriander
- 225g pack halloumi, cut into 0.5cm-thick slices
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
You’ll also need
- Large shallow flameproof casserole or deep ovenproof sauté pan
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in the casserole/pan, then fry the onions and carrots over a medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, season well with salt and pepper, then cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the tomato purée and spice mix to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Add the lentils and chopped tomatoes, then use the stock to rinse out the tomato tin and add this too. Add the kale and most of the herbs, then simmer for 15 minutes until saucy.
- Heat the grill to medium. Toss the halloumi with the remaining 1 tbsp oil, then layer it over the lentil mixture. Grill until the halloumi is golden and the sauce is bubbling. Scatter over the remaining herbs and pomegranate seeds to serve.
Keep leftovers covered and chilled for up to 3 days.
Berbere is an Ethiopian spice mix – we used Bart (available from larger supermarkets). If you can’t find it, use about ½ tsp each chilli flakes, crushed coriander and cardamom seeds, nutmeg and black pepper.
Rate & review