Hunan-style crispy mushroom noodle salad
- February 2021
- Serves 2-4 as part of a meal
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 15 min
Ching-He Huang’s vegan Chinese mushroom noodle salad combines panko-fried shimeji mushrooms, rice noodles and loads of veg for a tasty, healthy meal.
Ching says: “The people of the Hunan region in China are known for their love of sweet and spicy combinations. This easy dish is inspired by those strong flavour profiles.”
This recipe is taken from Asian Green by Ching-He Huang (Kyle Books £20).
Or, why not use leftover shimeji mushrooms in this tasty vegan stir-fry recipe?
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 7.9g (1.6g saturated)
- 81.3g (13.6g sugars)
For the mushrooms
- 500g shimeji mushrooms, separated (see Know-how)
- Pinch ground white pepper
- Pinch Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 tbsp potato flour or cornflour
- 6 tbsp aquafaba (see tip)
- 100g panko breadcrumbs (vegan if need be)
- 6 sprays light olive oil spray
For the sauce
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 4 long dried chillies
- 1 tbsp tamari or reduced-salt light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Juice and zest 1 large orange
For the salad
- 1 romaine/cos lettuce, shredded
- ½ cucumber, cut into half-moons
- 1 large carrot, cut into fine matchsticks
- 200g ready-to-eat vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Spring onion curls to serve (see tip)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Lay the mushrooms on a roasting tray and season with a pinch each of salt, white pepper and Chinese five-spice. Put the flour, aquafaba and breadcrumbs in three separate dishes. One at a time, dip each mushroom in the flour, coating well, then in the aquafaba. Finally dip quickly in the breadcrumbs and return to the roasting tray. Spray the mushrooms with olive oil, then roast for 15 minutes until crisp.
- Meanwhile make the sauce: heat a wok or deep frying pan over a high heat until smoking. Add the oil, then the ginger and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the chillies, tamari or soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and orange zest and juice. Bring to the boil and reduce until thickened.
- Drizzle the sauce over the crispy mushrooms and toss to coat. Arrange the salad ingredients on plates, then add the mushrooms and drizzle over more of the sauce if you like. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds, top with spring onion curls and serve immediately.
Aquafaba is the starchy liquid found in tinned chickpeas. It makes a good thickening agent, so it’s perfect for panko-ing the mushrooms for a crispy texture. After you’ve sliced your spring onions into matchsticks, plunge them into iced water to make beautiful spring onion curls.
Shimeji are small mushrooms that grow in groups rather than singularly – they’re available from Asian supermarkets, and in some larger supermarkets you’ll find them in Asian mushroom mixes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Veganism has skyrocketed in popularity and it's easy...
Healthy salad recipes
Check out our favourite healthy salad recipes for...
Vegetarian recipes from around the world
Embrace vegetarian dishes from around the world including...
Noodle salad recipes
Whether you're hankering after rice sticks, soba, or...