Vegetarian Lancashire hotpots
- January 2007
- Serves 6
- Ready in 1 hour 45 min
Is it still a Lancashire hotpot if it’s vegetarian? That’s up for debate! Either way, give this a try if you fancy going meat-free – it’s made with pearl barley, parsnips, carrots and onions.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.8g (2.5g saturated)
- 39.8g (19.2g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 200g tomato purée
- Good glug of Madeira
- 2 tbsp pearl barley
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 3 litres fresh vegetable stock, hot
- 24 baby onions, unskinned
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, cored and cut into batons
- 3 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 baking potatoes, very finely sliced
- 25g butter, melted, for brushing
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes, stirring. Add the tomato purée and cook for 8 minutes, stirring – this intensifies the flavour.
- Stir in the Madeira and boil for a few minutes. Add the barley, Tabasco and 1 litre stock. Boil, then simmer for 20 minutes to reduce by one-third.
- Bring the remaining stock to the boil in a large saucepan and add the baby onions. Cook for 5 minutes then cool in cold water. Peel. Blanch the other veg (do the potatoes separately) for 3 minutes. Lift into a colander to drain well then season and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Put the veg (except the potatoes) in 6 x 300ml pie dishes. Spoon in the sauce and top with overlapping potato slices. Brush with butter and grill on a baking sheet for 8-10 minutes, until golden.
To freeze: once made, cool, cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat at 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5 for 20-25 minutes, until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes that will make you excited for autumn
Spicy butterbean, chickpea and butternut squash stew
Enjoy this vegetarian stew recipe, made with butternut squash, butterbeans and chickpeas, as a healthy...
Italian starter recipes
Antonio Carluccio’s caponata Siciliana (Sicilian vegetable stew)
Antonio’s caponata is representative of the wonderful vegetables and flavours of Sicily. This vegetarian recipe...