Leek, kale and Gruyère cheese quiche
- November 2012
- Serves 2
- Hands on time 10 mins, plus 40 mins cooking time
This tart recipe is a tasty update on the classic vegetarian quiche. Feel free to swap gruyère for goat’s cheese or vary the vegetables with mushrooms or peppers.
Please note, this recipe itself is not vegetarian, as it contains gruyère.
- 375g ready-rolled all-butter shortcrust pastry
- Knob of butter
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 75g kale, roughly chopped
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 100ml double cream
- Bunch of fresh chives, snipped
- 50g ready-grated gruyère
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Line an 18cm flan tin with the pastry, prick the base all over with a fork, then line the pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Blind bake (see our how-to video below) for 15 minutes, remove the beans/rice and baking paper, then blind bake for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan, add the leeks and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes until soft. Cook the kale in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes, drain well and squeeze dry. Add the kale to the pastry case with the leeks.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, chives and gruyère together, season well, then pour on top of the leeks and kale. Return to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and set.
Rate & review