Leek, kale and Gruyère cheese quiche
- November 2012
- Serves 2
- Hands on time 10 mins, plus 40 mins cooking time
This tasty quiche uses ready-made pastry for extra speed. This recipe is also great for using up leftover veg in a midweek meal. For a vegetarian version of this quiche, swap the gruyère for a vegetarian cheese.
Or, how about this seasonal spring vegetarian tart with leek and feta?
- 375g ready-rolled all-butter shortcrust pastry
- Knob of butter
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 75g kale, roughly chopped
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 100ml double cream
- Bunch of fresh chives, snipped
- 50g ready-grated gruyère
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Line an 18cm flan tin with the pastry, prick the base all over with a fork, then line the pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Blind bake (see our how-to video below) for 15 minutes, remove the beans/rice and baking paper, then blind bake for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan, add the leeks and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes until soft. Cook the kale in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes, drain well and squeeze dry. Add the kale to the pastry case with the leeks.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, chives and gruyère together, season well, then pour on top of the leeks and kale. Return to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and set.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sponsored by Yeo Valley Organic
Cheddar and chard tart with cheese and oatmeal pastry
Cheddar and chard are paired with a robust oatmeal pastry in Debbie Major’s cheesy vegetarian...