Lemon and poppy seed Easter biscuits
- April 2022
- Makes about 20 double-layered biscuits
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus chilling and cooling. Oven time 8-10 min.
We’ve given linzer cookies an Easter twist in this easy recipe. Sandwich lemon and poppyseed Easter biscuits with creamy lemon curd.
Why not make a batch of our easy spiced Easter biscuits too?
- Vegetarian recipes
- 12.9g (5.9g saturated)
- 22.4g (10.3g sugars)
- 125g caster sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- 300g plain flour
- 200g cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Grated zest 2 lemons
- 1 medium free-range egg, plus 1 yolk
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 10 tbsp lemon curd (see Easy Swaps)
- Icing sugar to dust (optional)
You’ll also need
- Cookie cutters (about 8cm and 2cm)
- Whizz the sugar and almonds in a food processor to a fine, sandy texture. Add the flour, butter and lemon zest, then whizz again until the mixture forms fine crumbs. With the motor running, add the egg, egg yolk and poppy seeds, then pulse until the dough comes together. Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces, then roll each between 2 sheets of baking paper to 2-3mm thick (about as thick as a £1 coin). Stack the sheets of dough (still in between the baking paper) on a baking sheet and chill for at least 1 hour until very firm.
- When ready to bake, heat the oven to 160°C fan/gas 4. Remove the dough sheets from the fridge and carefully peel away one piece of baking paper. Cut out desired shapes, carefully removing the excess dough (roll again to make more), then use a smaller cutter to make a little ‘window’ in half the biscuits.
- Slide the biscuits, still on baking paper, onto 2 large baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes until firm and very pale golden. Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack and cool completely (see Make Ahead).
- Spread lemon curd over the biscuits without cut-outs. Dust the top of the other biscuits (with the windows) with icing sugar (optional), then sandwich the biscuits together.
Easy swaps: Use a different citrus curd or fruit jam to sandwich the biscuits together if you prefer.
The un-sandwiched biscuits will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container. Alternatively, the dough can be wrapped and frozen for up to 6 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then roll out and shape.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
A Linzertorte is a traditional Austrian tart that sees rich hazelnut pastry filled with jam...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...