Mini burnt cheesecakes with rhubarb and orange compote
- April 2019
- Makes 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 45 min, plus 4 hours chilling
Don’t be put off by these individual cheesecakes being ‘burnt’ it means the toasty caramelised edges pack in more flavour… plus you can’t go wrong with the recipe!
Want to make a full-size version? Try Ruth Reichl’s burnt cheesecake recipe inspired by La Vina in San Sebastiàn.
- 35.8g (22.5g saturated)
- 34.7g (31.9g sugars)
- 2 x 280g packs full-fat cream cheese (we used Philadelphia)
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 150ml double cream
- 1½ tbsp plain flour
For the compote
- 400g rhubarb, cut into 5cm chunks
- 2 oranges
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
You’ll also need…
- 6 x 8.5cm individual cooking rings set on a baking sheet, greased and bases and sides lined with cling film (we used Metaltex cooking rings, from Ocado and Amazon)
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 6. Put the rhubarb in a roasting tin with the zest and juice of 1 orange and the 2 tbsp demerara. Roast for 8 minutes, then cool. Cut the remaining orange into segments over a bowl to catch any juice. Add the segments to the juice, then add the cooled rhubarb and its syrupy juice. Chill.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sugar, then beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the double cream. Finally, beat in the flour.
- Pour the mixture into the tins, then bake for 35 minutes, or until just set
with a wobble when you touch the top.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then unmould and serve warm. Or cool completely, chill for 4 hours and serve at room temperature. Top with the rhubarb, orange segments and any juices to serve.
Add freshly grated orange/lemon zest to the cheesecake mixture, if you like. These cheesecakes will go with any seasonal compote.
Cool the cheesecakes completely, then chill, covered, for up to 48 hours. Take out of the fridge at least 1 hour before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter