Osso buco with risotto
- January 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 45 min, simmering time 2 hours
A recipe that sums up all that’s good about winter cooking; rich, tender and flavoursome veal shin with a saffron-hinted risotto.
- 31.2g (12.9g saturated)
- 58.2g (4.6g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 4 pieces British rose veal shin (about 350g each), cut through the bone, with the marrow
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 6-7 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 200ml dry white wine
- 250ml fresh chicken stock
For the risotto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 banana shallots, finely sliced
- 200g arborio risotto rice
- 175ml dry white wine
- Pinch saffron strands, soaked in 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock, hot
- 30g parmesan, grated
- Knob of butter
For the gremolata
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Small handful fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a heavy- based casserole large enough to fit all the veal in a single layer. Dust the veal in the flour and season well with salt and pepper, then brown all over in the casserole and set aside.
- Add a little more oil and the butter to the pan, then fry the onion, carrot and celery for 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, lemon zest and thyme leaves to the pan and return the browned veal. Slosh in the wine and bubble away for a minute or so, then add the stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook very gently for 1½ hours.
- Remove the lid and simmer for a further 30 minutes to reduce the liquid slightly. The veal should be lovely and tender by now.
- In the final half hour make the risotto. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the shallots until softened. Add the risotto rice and stir over a medium heat for a minute or so. Add the wine and stir until absorbed.
- Add the saffron and its soaking water, then add the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring until each addition is absorbed before adding the next. Once the rice is just tender, add another good ladleful of stock, the parmesan and butter. Stir, then remove from the heat, cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the gremolata. Serve the osso buco with the risotto and sprinkle with gremolata.
If you don’t have a good local butcher, you can buy veal shin online from donaldrussell.com.
Make the osso buco up to 48 hours in advance, book of the month.￼to the end of step 3. Leave to cool and keep covered in the fridge. Reheat on the stove until piping hot, then serve with the risotto.
To freeze the osso buco, take the meat off the bones, once cooled, and scoop out the bone marrow. Stir into the stew, then freeze for up to 3 months in a sealed container. Reheat on the stove until piping hot. Make the risotto as in the recipe and make the gremolata just before serving.
Rate & review