- February 2005
- Serves 4 people
- Takes 50 minutes to make, plus marinating
This paprika-spiced pork skewers recipe is low fat, making it a healthy and colourful midweek meal.
- 8.7g (2.2g saturated)
- 14.4g (10.1g sugar)
- 3 small lemons
- 500g pork fillet (tenderloin), trimmed of all fat and cut into 32 small pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander and turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 4 tbsp 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 16 fresh bay leaves
- 16 whole pickled red chillies (optional)
- 3 red onions, thickly sliced
- 3 beef tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Large handful torn fresh flatleaf parsley
- Finely grate the zest from 1 lemon and squeeze the juice. Put both into a bowl with the pork, garlic, oregano, ground spices and yogurt. Mix well, cover and set aside to marinate for at least 20 minutes (or up to 2 hours if you have the time).
- Preheat the grill to hot. Cut each of the remaining lemons into 8 wedges. Thread 4 pieces of pork, 2 wedges of lemon, 2 bay leaves and 2 chillies alternately on each skewer. Arrange on a large foil-lined grill tray and grill for 15 minutes, turning, until the pork is cooked through and lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4, and heat a large griddle pan until smoking. Brush the onions and tomatoes with the oil and season well. Chargrill the onions for 5 minutes, turn them over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a baking dish and keep hot in the oven while you cook the tomatoes. Add the tomatoes to the griddle pan and chargrill for 2-3 minutes, without turning.
- Pile the tomatoes onto serving plates with the onions and sprinkle over some balsamic vinegar and flatleaf parsley. Arrange the spiced pork skewers on top to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tandoori-style chicken skewers with green rice and cherry salad
Take your barbecue up a notch with lightly charred courgette, pepper and marinated chicken skewers....