Parmesan and pork sausage rolls
- May 2021
- Makes 8
- Hands-on time 30 min
Perfect for picnics, these homemade pork, fennel and black pepper sausage rolls are a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- 44.7g (24.2g saturated)
- 41.3g (3.3g sugars)
- 350g plain flour
- 80g cold unsalted butter
- 50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g full-fat cream cheese (we used Philadelphia)
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, plus extra to garnish
- 700g good quality pork sausagemeat
- 30g Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 large free-range egg
- Put the plain flour, 80g cold unsalted butter, 50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano, 2 tsp ground black pepper and 1 tsp salt in the bowl of a large food processor. Whizz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then add the cream cheese and 80g of the unsalted butter. Whizz again until the mixture comes together. Briefly knead, divide into 2 flattened rectangles, wrap well and chill for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, melt 20g unsalted butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sliced onion, then cook, stirring regularly, for 15-20 minutes until softened and starting to caramelise. Add 1 tsp fennel seeds and cook for 1-2 minutes more, then set aside to cool. Combine the cooled onion mixture with the sausagemeat, 30g Parmigiano Reggiano and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Roll out 1 block of chilled pastry to a rectangle roughly 16cm x 40cm and 3mm thick. Beat 1 large free-range egg with a pinch of salt and brush over the pastry. Arrange half the sausage mixture lengthways along the centre. Fold the pastry over to encase the filling, gently pressing to seal. Use a fork to crimp the ‘foot’ of the roll, then slice into 4 equal pieces. Repeat with the remaining mixture and pastry and put on a lined baking sheet. Brush with more beaten egg, then chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6. Brush the sausage rolls again with beaten egg, then sprinkle with more finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano and a pinch of fennel seeds. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden and cooked through.
You can make the rolls up to the end of step 4 and store, covered, in the fridge for up to 1 day. Alternatively, open freeze on a tray, then store in freezer bags for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen for 45 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...