Crispy chorizo sausage rolls
- December 2014
- Makes 36
- Hands-on time 60 min, oven time 5-6 minutes
Want to upgrade your sausage rolls? Michel Roux Jr’s crispy chorizo sausage rolls are an easy-to-make canapé recipe made by wrapping chorizo in crispy pastry called brique, bric, or feuilles de brick.
- 2.7g (0.9g saturated)
- 3.5g (0.3g sugars)
- 6 spicy cooking chorizo sausages, roughly 50g each
- 10 sheets brique pastry (or you can use filo – see know-how)
- 1 tbsp plain flour mixed with 1½ tbsp water to form a paste
- Olive oil for brushing
- Cut the chorizo sausages in half lengthways, then cut each half into three long strips (you may need to shape the chorizo into slim sausage shapes). Cut the pastry into roughly 10cm squares – you need to be able to roll each chorizo strip in just enough brique pastry to go around twice.
- Put the chorizo at one edge and roll once (about halfway), then fold over the open ends and continue to roll. Stick the edges of the roll with a little of the flour and water paste, pressing well to make sure they’re properly sealed (see make ahead). Put on a baking sheet.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Brush the outside of the rolls with olive oil, then bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes until crisp and slightly curled. Turn over halfway through cooking if necessary.
Brique/bric pastry (also known as feuilles de brick) has a consistency that’s halfway between a fine pancake and filo. It dries out easily – though not as quickly as filo – so keep unused sheets under a damp cloth or well wrapped. Find it in Middle Eastern delis or at frenchclick.co.uk, but if you can’t find it, filo works well too – and you’ll only need about 5 sheets.
You can prepare the chorizo rolls in advance up to the end of step 2 and keep them covered in cling film in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Next time make these with another type of sausage such as toulouse, or use black pudding.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Truffle honey-roasted fig and pancetta crostini with gorgonzola
A canapé recipe of crunchy crostini’s topped with figs roasted in truffle honey, pancetta and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...