Pasticcio (Greek pasta bake)
- October 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes 50 minutes to make and 25 minutes in the oven
Pasticcio is a Greek pasta bake made with lamb mince, tomato sauce and layers of macaroni.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 350g dried macaroni
- For the topping
- 150ml Greek yogurt
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 50g mature Cheddar, grated
- 50g feta
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until soft. Increase the heat, add the minced lamb and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until browned. Drain off the fat in a sieve, then return the meat to the pan.
- Add the purée and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, then half-fill the can with water and pour into the pan. Add the oregano, season, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat Preheat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4. For the topping, mix the yogurt, egg and half the cheeses. Season with pepper.
- Cook macaroni in boiling water until al dente. Drain and spoon half into a deep, ovenproof dish. Season. Top with the mince and remaining macaroni. Press down, spoon over yogurt topping and scatter with remaining cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Friday night dinners
Pasta with sausages, fennel seed and mozzarella ragù
This cumberland sausage and mozzarella ragù from Debbie Major takes inspiration from the spicy Italian...