Pink pickled onions
- Makes enough to fill a 250ml sterilised jar
- Hands-on time 5 min, plus pickling
Learn how to make pink pickled onions with this easy recipe. Use the bright pink, tangy onions to adorn burgers, salads and tacos.
Add a few pickled onions to this epic Kiwi beef burger with pickled beetroot and a fried egg.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 0.1g (0g saturated)
- 2.9g (2.4g sugars)
- 1 red onion, very finely sliced into half moons
- Juice 5 limes
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Put the sliced onions in a heatproof bowl and boil a kettle. Pour boiling water over the onions, leave them to sit for 20 seconds, then drain.
- Return the drained onions to the bowl and add the lime juice, cumin seeds, sugar, garlic and a big pinch of salt. Stir to combine, ensuring the onions are fully submerged in lime juice, then cover and leave to pickle for at least 20 minutes. Store in the fridge and eat within 1 week.
This recipe is easily scaled up – fill a jar with them and use them to adorn all sorts of tacos, sandwiches and salads.
These onions are ready to eat after 20 minutes but make them up to 3 days in advance for a more pronounced, almost fluorescent pink colour.
Pouring boiling water on raw sliced onions removes some of their astringency and breaks them down a little, making it easier for the lime juice to do its pickling magic. Try this method whenever you’re serving raw onions in salads or burgers to mellow out their raw flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet potato recipes
Smoky bean and sweet potato tortillas with lime-pickled onions
Take your veggie Mexican night to new heights with these...
April seasonal recipes
Pickled radishes with pea and broad bean houmous and knackebrod
Next time you’re expecting guests, pickle some radishes and serve...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...