Prawn, cabbage and sichuan pepper stir-fry
- April 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
You can play around with the ingredients in this stir-fry, swapping prawns for chicken or egg noodles for rice noodles, to really make it your own.
If you’re more in the mood for a pork stir-fry, then give this pork and hoisin recipe a tap – it’s got a handful of ingredients, and can be on the table in 30 minutes.
Cooked up by our deputy chief sub editor Hugh Thompson
- 13.2g (1.6g saturated)
- 36.5g (13.6g sugars)
- Rapeseed oil for frying
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- ½ broccoli head, cut into florets
- ¼ savoy cabbage, shredded
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 300g fresh (or cooked) medium egg noodles
- 350g sustainable raw peeled king prawns
- 200g firm tofu, cut into 1cm slices
- 200g beansprouts, soaked in cold water for a few minutes to refres
- Lime wedges to serve
For the dressing
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp sichuan pepper, finely ground in a pestle and mortar
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp shaoxing rice wine (from the world food section of large supermarkets)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce, plus extra
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Heat a large wok with a good glug of oil, add the pepper and onion and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until softening.
- Add the broccoli, cabbage and mushrooms, then stir-fry for a few more minutes until starting to soften. Add the dressing, noodles, prawns and tofu and stir-fry for a final 4-5 minutes until everything is steaming hot, crunchy but cooked through.
- Stir in the beansprouts and serve with extra soy sauce and lime wedges for squeezing.
Next time, vary the veg in the stir-fry according to what’s in season/your fridge, or swap the prawns for chicken or beef strips, if you prefer.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken with pumpkin, pancetta and chickpea stir-fry
Ready in just 20 minutes, this quick chicken recipe is...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter