Purple sprouting broccoli and wensleydale tarts
- April 2013
- Serves 6
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook, plus chilling and cooling
Try serving this tempting creamy tartlet recipe at a spring-time dinner party or Easter lunch, when purple sprouting broccoli is at its peak.
- 47.3g (22.1g saturated)
- 26.7g (2.8g sugars)
- 12 small spears of purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 banana shallots, finely sliced
- 3 large free-range eggs and 2 yolks, beaten
- 250ml double cream
- 150g wensleydale, grated
- 35g cream cheese
- Green salad to serve
For the pastry
- 300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 80g shelled walnuts, whizzed in a food processor until finely ground
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 120g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- Finely grated zest of 1½ lemons
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- 2 tbsp ice-cold water
- To make the pastry, put the flour, ground walnuts and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the lemon zest and egg yolk, then pulse, gradually adding the water until the mixture just comes together. Tip out on to a lightly floured surface, bring together with your hands, then knead briefly. Shape into a disc, wrap in cling film, then chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a pound coin and use to line 6 x 12cm fluted tart tins (see tip), pressing the pastry right down into the tins and into the sides. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Line the tarts with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice, then blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans/rice, then bake for 5-10 minutes more until golden. Remove from the oven. Reduce the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas
- Meanwhile, blanch the broccoli spears in salted boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain and refresh in ice-cold water. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the shallots for 10-12 minutes until very soft and golden.
- Whisk the eggs, yolks, cream, wensleydale and cream cheese in a jug, then season. Divide the shallots equally among the cases. Divide the broccoli spears, broken into smaller florets, among the tart cases, then pour over the egg mix. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and just set.
- Take out of the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the tins and cool to room temperature. Serve with a few green salad leaves.
When lining the pastry cases, let the excess pastry hang over the sides. This stops the cases shrinking. After blind baking, trim off the excess with a serrated knife before you add the egg mixture.
Freeze the finished tarts. Reheat in the oven from frozen for 15-20 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Purple sprouting broccoli with soft-boiled egg and crisp rosemary breadcrumbs
The addition of rosemary breadcrumbs and a perfectly soft-boiled egg transforms this simple dish from...