Purple sprouting broccoli and wensleydale tarts
- April 2013
- Serves 6
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook, plus chilling and cooling
These individual vegetarian tartlets are perfect for spring dining – make them as a starter to kick off Easter lunch with all the family or a dinner party with friends.
Big on broccoli? Then you might like these Tenderstem broccoli and spring onion galettes, too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 47.3g (22.1g saturated)
- 26.7g (2.8g sugars)
- 12 small spears of purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 banana shallots, finely sliced
- 3 large free-range eggs and 2 yolks, beaten
- 250ml double cream
- 150g wensleydale, grated
- 35g cream cheese
- Green salad to serve
For the pastry
- 300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 80g shelled walnuts, whizzed in a food processor until finely ground
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 120g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- Finely grated zest of 1½ lemons
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- 2 tbsp ice-cold water
- To make the pastry, put the flour, ground walnuts and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the lemon zest and egg yolk, then pulse, gradually adding the water until the mixture just comes together. Tip out on to a lightly floured surface, bring together with your hands, then knead briefly. Shape into a disc, wrap in cling film, then chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a pound coin and use to line 6 x 12cm fluted tart tins (see tip), pressing the pastry right down into the tins and into the sides. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Line the tarts with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice, then blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans/rice, then bake for 5-10 minutes more until golden. Remove from the oven. Reduce the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas
- Meanwhile, blanch the broccoli spears in salted boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain and refresh in ice-cold water. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the shallots for 10-12 minutes until very soft and golden.
- Whisk the eggs, yolks, cream, wensleydale and cream cheese in a jug, then season. Divide the shallots equally among the cases. Divide the broccoli spears, broken into smaller florets, among the tart cases, then pour over the egg mix. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and just set.
- Take out of the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the tins and cool to room temperature. Serve with a few green salad leaves.
When lining the pastry cases, let the excess pastry hang over the sides. This stops the cases shrinking. After blind baking, trim off the excess with a serrated knife before you add the egg mixture.
Freeze the finished tarts. Reheat in the oven from frozen for 15-20 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Boiled egg recipes
Purple sprouting broccoli with soft-boiled egg and crisp rosemary breadcrumbs
The addition of rosemary breadcrumbs and a perfectly soft-boiled egg transforms this simple dish from...
Purple sprouting broccoli recipes
Use purple sprouting broccoli when it's at its...
Recipes to celebrate spring
As new shoots start to creep through, it's...
The choice of fillings for savoury tarts are...
Vegetarian starter recipes
Looking for vegetarian starters? How about a tomato...