Rhubarb and custard crumbles
- March 2009
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 minutes to make and 15-20 minutes to cook
Our individual rhubarb and custard crumbles are quick and easy to make and you can make them ahead of time, so they’re great for a dinner party dessert.
- 600g forced rhubarb, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1-2 large pieces stem ginger in syrup, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 450ml fresh custard
- 110g plain flour
- 75g butter, cubed
- 75g caster sugar
- A large handful of chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Butter 6 x 300ml ramekins or ovenproof dishes. Place the rhubarb in the bottom of the ramekins. Add the ginger to the rhubarb with some of the syrup from the jar. Sprinkle sugar over the rhubarb in each ramekin. Divide fresh custard between the ramekins and set aside.
- Rub together plain flour with butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in 50g caster sugar and a handful of chopped toasted hazelnuts and sprinkle over the rhubarb.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until bubbling and golden.
Rate & review