Rhubarb and apple flapjack crumble
- March 2013
- Serves 8
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 45 minutes to cook
You thought a classic fruit crumble couldn’t be any more comforting? Donal Skehan takes it up a level by combining cooked rhubarb and apple with an oaty flapjack topping.
Browse 100+ tried-and-tested baking recipes.
- 24.1g (14g saturated)
- 62.3g (32.8g sugars)
- 500g rhubarb
- 500g cooking apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-5 tbsp soft light brown sugar, depending on how sweet you like it
- 15g butter
- Vanilla ice cream or single cream to serve
For the crumble topping
- 200g cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 150g plain flour
- 150g jumbo oat flakes
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. First, make the topping. Using your fingertips, rub together the butter, flour, oats and sugar in a large bowl until you have a rough crumble mix. Set this aside.
- Chop the rhubarb into 3cm lengths and put in a large bowl. Peel, core and chop the apples into 3cm chunks, then add these to the rhubarb. Quickly mix through the lemon juice and the sugar.
- Put a saucepan over a medium heat and melt the 15g butter. Add the fruit to the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the fruit to a 3 litre baking dish, then tumble the crumble mixture on top: don’t pack it down. Put the dish on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the crumble is golden on top and the fruit is soft and bubbling underneath.
- Serve warm from the oven with cold cream or generous scoops of vanilla ice cream.
Try grating orange zest into the rhubarb and apple mix for a fragrant, citrusy twist.
You can make a nuttier but still chewy alternative to the topping. Keep the amounts of sugar, butter and flour the same but replace the oats with 100g ground almonds and 50g chopped hazelnuts.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter