Roast aubergines with giant couscous and tzatziki
- June 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Roast aubergines then serve with pitta, giant couscous and tzatziki for a filling vegetarian lunch that’s easy to pack up for work or picnics.
Fancy mixing things up at lunchtime? We’ve got plenty more working from home lunch ideas for you to try.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28.1g (4.6g saturated)
- 46.6g (7.2g sugars)
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- A few glugs extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large aubergines, cut into chunks
- 200g giant couscous (we used wholegrain)
- 100g pitted green olives, chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g roasted whole almonds (unsalted), roughly chopped
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 200g tub tzatziki (see Easy Swaps)
- Pomegranate molasses to drizzle
- Toasted pittas to serve
- Heat the oven to 200ºC fan/gas 7. In a large bowl, mix the miso with a good glug of olive oil, then add the aubergine chunks and toss until evenly coated. Spread the aubergine chunks in a single layer in a large baking tray, then roast for 20-25 minutes until golden and beginning to char. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the couscous according to the pack instructions, then drain and put in a bowl with the olives, spring onions, almonds and chilli flakes, if using. Add a splash more olive oil, season with salt, then toss together.
- Serve the couscous on a platter, topped with the roast aubergine chunks. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses, then serve with the tzatziki and some toasted pittas, if you like.
Easy swaps: If you’re on a dairy free/vegan diet, serve the aubergines with unsweetened coconut yogurt mixed with a little grated cucumber. If you’re gluten-free, use quinoa instead of couscous and skip the pittas (miso is often gluten-free, but always check).
Pack and go: Put the couscous in a lidded container, dollop on some tzatziki, then top with the aubergines and a little pomegranate molasses. Chill until ready to go.
Rate & review