Roast garlic and chickpea mash
- February 2012
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30 min
Chickpeas are a fantastic storecupboard ingredient and are extremely versatile. This mash is a great alternative to the usual potato variety.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 onion, chopped
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 300ml vegetable stock
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Slice the top off the garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil, then roast for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes. Stir through the chickpeas. Add the vegetable stock, simmer for 10 minutes, then drain, reserving some stock in a jug.
- Remove the garlic from the oven and squeeze out the flesh into the chickpeas (discard the skins). Mash briefly, adding stock if necessary.
- Stir through the chopped fresh parsley, season and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Potato and celeriac mash with Manchego
This creamy side dish recipe goes well with a simple roast chicken or roast pork,...