Simple tomato salad
- June 2012
- Serves 10 as part of a buffet
- Takes 20 minutes to make, plus marinating
A simple tomato salad recipe made with a homemade herb salt and simple olive oil dressing.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 3.8g (0.7g saturated)
- 5.6g (5.3g sugars)
- 1.8kg ripe tomatoes (as many different colours, shapes and sizes as you can find – look out for heritage tomatoes at farmers’ markets and some supermarkets)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- large pinch of black pepper
- a small handful fresh thyme leaves
- a small handful fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- Slice the tomatoes into rounds or bite-size pieces. In a bowl, whisk the olive oil with the red wine vinegar and black pepper. Finely chop the thyme and rosemary leaves, add to a pestle and mortar, then crush with the coarse sea salt.
- Toss half the dressing and half the herb salt through the tomatoes, then leave to marinate for 30 minutes or so.
- Layer the tomatoes and the fresh basil leaves in a serving bowl, drizzling as you go with the rest of the dressing and herb salt. Serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer salads and sides
Braised fennel and butter beans with gremolata oil and cheese crisps
A high-fibre, vegetarian recipe with strong aniseed flavours complimented by zesty, garlicky gremolata.
Griddled courgette salad with goat’s cheese and honey
This simple summer salad couldn’t be easier to make – just 20 minutes – and...