Simple tomato salad
- June 2012
- Serves 10 as part of a buffet
- Takes 20 minutes to make, plus marinating
Keeping it classic? This is a simple tomato salad recipe made with a homemade herb salt and simple olive oil dressing.
- 3.8g (0.7g saturated)
- 5.6g (5.3g sugars)
- 1.8kg ripe tomatoes (as many different colours, shapes and sizes as you can find – look out for heritage tomatoes at farmers’ markets and some supermarkets)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- large pinch of black pepper
- a small handful fresh thyme leaves
- a small handful fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- Slice the tomatoes into rounds or bite-size pieces. In a bowl, whisk the olive oil with the red wine vinegar and black pepper. Finely chop the thyme and rosemary leaves, add to a pestle and mortar, then crush with the coarse sea salt.
- Toss half the dressing and half the herb salt through the tomatoes, then leave to marinate for 30 minutes or so.
- Layer the tomatoes and the fresh basil leaves in a serving bowl, drizzling as you go with the rest of the dressing and herb salt. Serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chickpea, tomato and red pepper salad, avocado dressing
This chickpea, tomato and red pepper salad can be served...
Grilled mackerel with green bean, olive and tomato pesto salad
Enjoy a fuss free light supper with this grilled mackerel...
Delicious recipes for one person
Grilled mackerel with tomato and preserved lemon salad
Get your oily fish quota in this quick, zingy dish,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter