Slow-cooked lamb shoulder with sherry and green olives
- December 2021
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 min, plus around 3½ hours oven time
José Pizarro’s slow-cooked lamb shoulder is roasted with oregano, olives and sherry to create a wonderful mix of flavours and tender meat.
You might also like our roast lamb shoulder with rice pilaf.
- 32.3g (12g saturated)
- 15.9g (5.3g sugars)
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 oregano sprigs, leaves stripped
- 150g green olives
- 2kg lamb shoulder
- 200ml fino sherry
- 150ml fresh chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 700g tinned plain gigante beans (or 2 x 400g tins butter beans), drained and rinsed (see Know How)
- Heat the oven to 180°C fan/gas 6. Put the onions and garlic in a roasting tin, drizzle with oil and scatter over most of the oregano and the olives. Season the lamb and set it on top.
- Roast the meat uncovered for 20 minutes, then add the sherry and stock and cover. Turn the oven to 140°C fan/gas 3 and cook for 2½-3 hours (see Know How).
- Uncover and add the beans, then return to the oven for 10 minutes to warm them through.
- Shred the lamb, scatter over the rest of the oregano and serve with the beans and onions.
Don’t waste it: Store leftover lamb covered in any pan juices in the fridge. It’ll keep for 2-3 days. Or portion into freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then gently reheat in a low oven.
Gigante beans, also known as Greek giant beans, are often sold tinned in a rich tomato sauce. If you can’t find plain beans for this recipe, cook your own (you’ll need 500g dry weight) or use regular butter beans instead. When done, the centre bone of the shoulder joint should be removable with little to no effort as the meat will slide off. If it’s not quite tender after the stated cooking time, put it back in the oven for another 30 minutes, then check again.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Satisfyingly slow roasts
Six hour slow roasted lamb shoulder with charred red peppers and rosemary gravy
Simmone Logue’s incredibly tender slow-roasted lamb shoulder recipe with charred...
Apricot stuffed lamb shoulder with rosemary roast potatoes
Whether you want to cook a weekend roast with a...
Stews, casseroles, pot-roasts and slow-roasts
Moroccan-spiced lamb shoulder with onions and freekeh
Alex Mackay‘s spiced roast ’n’ braise lamb shoulder recipe is truly...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter