Roast lamb shoulder with rice pilaf
- November 2021
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 30 min
Our easy roast lamb shoulder makes a delicious change to a classic roast. Lamb shoulder is roasted with spices and served with a fragrant cranberry rice pilaf.
You might also love our Moroccan-spiced lamb shoulder with onions and freekeh
- 29.1g (11.4g saturated)
- 44.2g (11.3g sugars)
- Whole British lamb shoulder on the bone (about 2kg)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried mint
- ½ tsp dried urfa chilli powder (or other dried chilli powder)
- 4 tbsp date molasses/syrup (from supermarkets and online)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200ml red wine
- 200ml orange juice
- 150g fresh/frozen cranberries
For the rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30g butter
- 300g basmati rice
- 600ml hot chicken stock
- 50g dried cranberries
- Large handful chopped parsley
- 30g ready-made crispy fried onions
- Heat the oven to 130°C fan/gas 2. Put the lamb in a large roasting tin. Mix the garlic, spices, date molasses and oil with some seasoning, then rub all over the lamb. Pour in the wine and orange juice, scatter over the cranberries, then cover tightly with foil and roast for 4 hours.
- Uncover the tin, turn up the oven to 180ºC/gas 6 and roast for 30 minutes more to reduce the sauce and brown the meat.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat until the butter melts. Add the rice, stirring to coat the grains. Add the hot stock and bring up to a simmer. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce the heat to very low and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the grains to plump up fully.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork to separate the grains and check the seasoning. Stir in the dried cranberries and most of the parsley and crispy onions, then top with the remaining parsley and crispy onions and serve alongside the lamb.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Five-spice slow-roast pork belly with pea and leek pilaf
This quick and easy five-spice slow-roast pork belly with pea...
Satisfyingly slow roasts
Six hour slow roasted lamb shoulder with charred red peppers and rosemary gravy
Simmone Logue’s incredibly tender slow-roasted lamb shoulder recipe with charred...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter