Sour cherry and marzipan stollen
- January 2008
- Makes 1 loaf
- Takes 35 minutes to make, about 50 minutes to bake, plus 1½ hours’ proving
Marzipan lovers will adore this stollen dessert recipe. It’s brimming with flavours of dried sour cherries and crunchy almonds.
- 14.3g (5.7g saturated)
- 39.4g (18.7g sugars)
For 12 servings
- 100g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 300g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 100g dried sour cherries
- 75g whole, unblanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 150ml milk, warmed
- 125g good-quality marzipan
For the icing
- 100g icing sugar
- 3-4 tbsp orange juice
- Grease a large baking sheet. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until it resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar, yeast, orange zest, cherries and nuts. Make a well in the centre and gradually pour in the milk. Mix to a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is shiny and elastic. Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it has at least doubled in size.
- Punch the dough in the bowl to ‘knock back’. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and, using a rolling pin, roll out to a large rectangle about 20cm x 10cm.
- Roll the marzipan into a long sausage shape, a little bit shorter than the dough and lay down towards the edge of 1 long side of the dough. Fold the dough over so the marzipan is in the centre and press together to seal. Lift onto the baking tray and cover with lightly greased cling film. Leave to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160°C/ fan140°C/gas 3. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the stollen is golden and sounds hollow when you tap the bottom. Wrap in a thick tea towel and leave to cool. Mix the icing sugar and orange juice together to make a runny icing, spread over the stollen and allow to set. Slice to serve.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter