Spiced filo pumpkin pie
- September 2017
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 25-30 min
“Cracklingly crisp filo pastry stuffed with spiced pumpkin and cheese. Delicious served hot straight from the oven.” – Claire Thomson.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 30.4g (12.7g saturated)
- 21.3g (4.3g sugars),
- 350g pumpkin or butternut squash (about 1 small squash), peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 75g pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 100g cottage cheese, ricotta or quark
- 2 medium free-range eggs,beaten
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp each salt and black pepper
- 270g filo pastry sheets
- 100g melted butter
- 1 tsp nigella seeds (or sesame)
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the pumpkin on a baking tray and roast for about 30 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, dry-fry the pine nuts in a frying pan, then set aside. In the same pan, fry the onion in the butter or olive oil for about 8-10 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Lower the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the cooked pumpkin, pine nuts, cooked onion, feta and cottage cheese, the beaten eggs, 2 tsp of the oregano, the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and pepper.
- Put the baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper on a work surface, with the shorter end facing you. Lay 2 filo sheets lengthways on the baking sheet, brushing each one with melted butter. Take 2 more sheets and rotate them so they’re at the 11 o’clock and 5 o’clock positions, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Continue to arrange the sheets, rotating each pair as though further around the clock face, until you have a slightly overlapping circle, buttering each sheet liberally as you go.
- When all the filo sheets have been used, put the pumpkin mixture in the centre and spread out, leaving a 5cm border. Carefully fold the filo sheets over the edge of the mixture, leaving the centre uncovered. Brush the edges of the pie with the rest of the butter and scatter the nigella/sesame seeds all over. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges are golden and the centre is just set.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with the honey, sprinkle with the rest of the oregano and the chilli and let the pie stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
If the pumpkin looks a little dry, add a splash of oil when roasting (step 1). If you have an odd number of filo sheets, make the final layer a single one (step 5).
You can make this the day before and reheat it in a low-medium oven until piping hot throughout. Brush with a little oil to help it crisp up again. Alternatively, roast the filling a day ahead and chill, covered, until you’re ready to assemble the pie and bake.
Rate & review