Pumpkin, feta and pine nut filo layer pie
- October 2013
- Serves 6
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 1 hour to cook
This vegetarian pie recipe has sweet, soft pumpkin, salty feta and the crunch of filo pastry.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 21.2g (8.6g saturated)
- 26.3g (6.1g sugars)
- 750g pumpkin or squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, left whole, unpeeled
- 3 fresh rosemary springs, leaves stripped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- 1 large free-range egg
- 300g feta
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 35g toasted pine nuts
- 10-12 filo pastry sheets
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put the pumpkin or squash, garlic and rosemary into a roasting tray, season well and drizzle with the 2 tbsp olive oil. Roast for 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins, then whizz to a smooth paste in a food processor with the roasted pumpkin/squash. Cool slightly, add the milk and egg, then whizz again briefly to combine.
- Crumble the feta into a bowl, then mix in the chillies, lemon zest and pine nuts. Season well.
- Brush the base of a large, deep 1.5 litre ovenproof frying pan with olive oil. Brush 2 filo sheets with oil (see tip), then overlap side by side in the base of the pan so they drape over the sides. Spoon in half the pumpkin mixture and smooth over the base. Oil another 2 filo sheets, layering them as before, then scatter half the feta mixture evenly on top. Repeat the layers with more oiled filo and the remaining pumpkin and feta. Fold the overhanging pastry over to completely cover the filling.
- Crumple the remaining filo sheets over the pie and brush with oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and crisp. Carefully slide the pie onto a board, slice and serve.
Brushing filo with oil stops it drying out and crisps it up when cooked. Cover unoiled sheets with a damp tea towel as you work.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chestnut and pumpkin pie with meringue
This spiced chestnut and pumpkin meringue pie recipe is a delicious twist on an old...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...