Spicy pork and peanut noodles
- February 2022
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
When you need an easy dinner on the table fast, nothing hits the spot like these spicy udon noodles, with crispy pork, pak choi and peanuts.
Got some noodles left in the packet? Try your hand at chicken yaki udon next time.
- 15.8g (3.1g saturated)
- 37.8g (7.1g sugars)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 300g lean pork mince
- 150g mangetout
- 4 baby pak choi, halved
- Thumb-size piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp gochujang (see Easy Swaps)
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 450g straight-to-wok udon noodles
- 40g unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Lime wedges to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp of the sesame oil in a wok or non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the mince and break up with a wooden spoon. Move the meat around the pan while it fries for 5-7 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan if it sticks, until it’s golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil, add the mangetout and pak choi and cook for 3 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the mince in the pan, then stir in the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the gochujang, soy and mirin, then add the udon noodles to the pan along with the mangetout and pak choi. Cook for 5 minutes, tossing regularly until everything is warmed through. Finally add the peanuts and spring onions.
- Serve the pork noodles in deep bowls with lime wedges to squeeze over.
Easy swaps: Make this gluten free by using rice noodles, tamari instead of soy sauce and gluten-free gochujang. Gochujang is a hot/sweet fermented condiment from Korea – if you can’t find it in supermarkets or South Asian grocers use a fermented black bean paste or umami paste.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick Chinese recipes
Black bean pork noodles with coriander and peanuts
There’s something so satisfyingly indulgent about soft, thick udon noodles...
Sticky Vietnamese pork meatballs with rice noodles and pickled vegetables
Lemongrass, garlic and lime all contribute to the powerful flavour...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter