Stilton and leek bread and butter bake
- December 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 30-40 minutes in the oven, plus soaking
This cheesy vegetarian recipe is comfort food heaven and a savoury take on the classic British bread and butter pudding.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 51.6g fat (31.4g saturated)
- 43.6g (8.9g sugars)
- 30g butter
- 2 large leeks, trimmed, cut into medium slices and washed
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 8 medium slices Granary bread
- 3 eggs
- 500ml whole milk
- 200g vegetarian Stilton, crumbled (or vegetarian alternative)
- 200g Cheddar, grated
- Heat 10g butter in a large frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add the leeks and cook gently for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened but not coloured. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, thinly spread the remaining butter and the mustard on 1 side of each slice of bread. Cut each slice into quarters. In a large jug, beat the eggs, milk and some seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/ fan170°C/gas 5. Arrange a third of the bread, buttered-side up, in an ovenproof dish. Scatter with a third of the leeks and a third of the cheeses, then pour over a third of the milk mixture, evenly and slowly. Repeat to use up the remaining ingredients, then leave to soak for 20 minutes or so, if you have time.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and cook for 30-40 minutes, until risen and golden. Serve warm with steamed seasonal vegetables.
For a meaty version, fry 6 chopped pork sausages until golden, then add to the leeks before layering up.
Rate & review