Summer vegetable tagine
- July 2008
- Serves 6
- Ready in 40 min
Vary the vegetables you use, according to what’s in season, for this moreish Moorish vegetarian tagine recipe.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 15.2g (1.5g saturated)
- 43.3g (21.8g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 shallots, peeled and halved if large (see tip above)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 150g brown or green lentils
- 2 tsp ras el hanout
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 800ml vegetable stock, hot
- 100g dried ready-to-eat apricots
- 150g baby carrots, scrubbed
- 3 small fennel bulbs, each cut into 6 wedges, any herby fronds chopped and set aside
- 2 courgettes, halved lengthways and cut into 4cm wedges
- 200g fresh or frozen peas
- Grated zest of 2 lemons, plus the juice of 1
- 100g blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large tagine base, casserole or saucepan. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, lentils, ras el hanout and cumin, and cook for a further minute. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat slightly, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the apricots, carrots, fennel and courgettes and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add the peas and half the lemon zest and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Scatter with the remaining zest, toasted almonds, fennel tops and parsley to serve.
To peel shallots easily, drop them into boiling water for 1 minute, then refresh, drain and pull away the outer skin.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian casserole recipes
Natasha Corrett’s squash tagine and cauli ‘couscous’
Eating healthily during the week doesn’t need to be a challenge when you have gluten-free,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...