Tomato and bread salad with mozzarella
- August 2015
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min
A glorious sunshine-filled salad recipe made with vibrant tomatoes, sourdough bread, quick pickled onions, capers, mozzarella and fresh basil.
For something a little easier, try our simple tomato salad.
- 19.4g (7.5g saturated)
- 32.3g (9g sugars)
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1.2kg ripe mixed tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 300g good-quality stale country bread or sourdough, torn into medium chunks (see tip)
- 1 small bunch fresh oregano or mint, leaves picked
- 250g buffalo mozzarella bocconcini (mini mozzarella balls), halved (or use 250g buffalo mozzarella, torn)
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (the best one you have)
- 1 large bunch fresh basil, leaves picked
- Put the red onion in a bowl with the vinegar and sugar, season well with salt, toss to combine, then set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Put the tomatoes in a large bowl and season well. Halve the cucumber lengthways, remove and discard the seeds, then slice the flesh diagonally and add to the tomatoes. Add the capers, bread, oregano/mint and mozzarella to the bowl. Drizzle over the extra-virgin olive oil.
- When the onions have softened slightly, add them and the soaking vinegar to the bowl, then toss it all together. Leave the salad to sit for 5-10 minutes, then add the basil and toss everything together again. Taste and check the seasoning. Serve immediately.
If your bread isn’t stale, tear it up into chunky pieces and leave somewhere warm for a few hours, or dry in a medium oven for 5-10 minutes.
This is a slightly more elaborate version of panzanella, the classic Italian tomato salad made with stale bread. It’s quite filling and makes the perfect summer lunch or dinner. In smaller portions, it also makes a gorgeous summery starter.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Heritage tomato salad with air dried ham, melon and mozzarella
Fresh melon and juicy tomatoes contrast perfectly with salty ham...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter