Vegan coconut curry
- December 2019
- hands-on time 25 min, cooking time 25 min
This vegan coconut curry uses firm tofu for its ‘meatier’ texture and is jam-packed with fresh, zingy flavours from the curry leaves, coconut, tamarind and cumin.
Take a look at the tip (below) to find out how to put a Thai twist on this dish, next time. Or, check out our warming aubergine and tofu curry made with Greek yoghurt, mango chutney and roasted peanuts.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 24.3g (9.1g saturated)
- 12.6g (5.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp light olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 x 280g packs firm tofu, cut into chunks and dried on kitchen paper
- 4 large spring onions, white and green parts sliced separately
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 red chillies, sliced, to taste
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds, bashed
- 10 fresh or 15 dried curry leaves
- 400ml half-fat coconut milk
- 175g frozen peas
- 200g tenderstem broccoli
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste, plus extra to drizzle
- Heat the oil in a wide, heavy-based pan over a medium heat, add the tofu and brown for around 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped white parts of the spring onions, the garlic, half the chilli/es and all the cumin seeds to the pan, mix well and fry for 1 minute, then add the curry leaves and fry for another minute.
- Add the coconut milk and 200ml cold water (or veg stock if you have it), then simmer gently over a low-medium heat for 10 minutes, being careful not to let the curry boil or it will split. Add back the tofu, peas and broccoli, then cook for 5 minutes or so until just cooked. Stir in 1 tbsp tamarind paste, then cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with the green parts of the spring onion and an extra drizzle of tamarind paste.
Next time, try our Thai-style tofu curry: fry 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste in a little oil in a large saucepan, add a batch of the coconut and tamarind tofu curry, then reheat until piping hot. Top with a large handful of roughly chopped fresh Thai basil or coriander to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan Christmas recipes
Vegan miso mushroom, squash and chestnut wellington
This vegan wellington makes a standout centrepiece whatever the occasion. A mixture of miso mushrooms,...