Warm potato pancakes with Scottish smoked salmon
- January 2010
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook, plus cooling
Serve these warm potato pancakes with smoked salmon as a starter or add a poached egg for a brilliant brunch. You can freeze them in batches, too.
Try these pancakes as an easy festive starter, or check out more Christmas fish recipes.
- 12g (5.1g saturated)
- 21.6g (2.4g sugars)
- 450g floury potatoes, such as maris piper, chopped into small chunks
- 150ml milk
- 3 medium free-range eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 100g plain flour
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp creamed horseradish
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 300g Scottish smoked salmon
- Small bunch fresh chives, snipped
- Place the potatoes in a large pan of cold salted water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes until tender. Drain well, then mash with the milk, season, and leave to cool.
- Beat the egg yolks and buttermilk together, mix with the cooled mashed potato and fold in the flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Add a large spoonful to the potato mix and stir to loosen it. Fold in the remaining egg white, being careful not to overbeat.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add 3-4 heaped tbsp batter and fry for 2 minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and fry for 1-2 minutes more until just golden. Repeat until the batter is used up (you should get 24 pancakes).
- In a small bowl, combine the crème fraîche, horseradish and lemon juice.
- Serve 3 pancakes per person, draped with the salmon and topped with horseradish cream and chives.
Serve this starter as part of our Scottish roast menu
To freeze: Layer the cooked, cooled pancakes between layers of baking paper and freeze in a plastic container for up to 3 months. Defrost before warming through in a low oven.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury pancake recipes
Potato and celeriac pancakes with bacon and cheese
Serve these potato and celeriac pancakes with a fried egg...
Smoked salmon latkes with Scandinavian horseradish cream
Forget blinis – when it comes to dinner party nibbles,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter