Wild rice and cranberry salad
- January 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 25-30 minutes to cook, plus cooling
This wild rice and cranberry salad recipe is vegetarian, but its flavours are bold enough to complement a rich meat dish.
Our turkey and wild rice pilaf with pecans and cranberries is a great way to use up some festive turkey.
- 10.2g (3.2g saturated)
- 50.3g (4.2g sugars)
- 25g butter
- 200g wild rice
- 750ml vegetable stock, hot
- 50g dried cranberries
- 100g fresh or frozen cranberries (defrosted)
- Pared zest and juice of 1 orange
- 150g basmati rice, rinsed
- Bunch of spring onions, chopped
- Large bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the wild rice, stirring to coat, then pour in the stock. Add the dried and fresh/frozen cranberries and the orange zest. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the rice is tender and the stock is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the basmati rice in another pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes until the rice has absorbed all the water and is tender and fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- When both types of rice are cool, fluff them up with a fork and tip into a serving bowl. Fold through the spring onions, parsley, olive oil and a splash of orange juice, then season. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more orange juice or olive oil to taste.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Wild rice salad with peas, pea shoots and green harissa
A summery, vegetarian rice salad recipe full of fresh flavours and with a kick of...
Christmas leftover recipes
Turkey and wild rice pilaf with pecans and cranberries
You can use leftover turkey in this healthy and versatile winter pilaf recipe that gives...
Wild mushroom and garlic rice
This wild mushroom and garlic rice recipe is ideal for outdoor eating.
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...