Wild rice and cranberry salad
- January 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 25-30 minutes to cook, plus cooling
This wild rice and cranberry salad recipe is vegetarian, but its flavours are bold enough to complement a rich meat dish.
- 10.2g (3.2g saturated)
- 50.3g (4.2g sugars)
- 25g butter
- 200g wild rice
- 750ml vegetable stock, hot
- 50g dried cranberries
- 100g fresh or frozen cranberries (defrosted)
- Pared zest and juice of 1 orange
- 150g basmati rice, rinsed
- Bunch of spring onions, chopped
- Large bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the wild rice, stirring to coat, then pour in the stock. Add the dried and fresh/frozen cranberries and the orange zest. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the rice is tender and the stock is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the basmati rice in another pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes until the rice has absorbed all the water and is tender and fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- When both types of rice are cool, fluff them up with a fork and tip into a serving bowl. Fold through the spring onions, parsley, olive oil and a splash of orange juice, then season. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more orange juice or olive oil to taste.
Rate & review