What to do with leftover fresh sage leaves
With strong and earthy flavours, this fresh herb is a star ingredient. Take a look at our list of recipes to decide how you want to use up leftovers.
Recipes using fresh sage leaves
- Sage sausage rolls
- Roast chicken, sage and onion traybake
- Garlic and sage crispy crushed new potatoes
- Lemon and fennel risotto with crisp-fried sage
- Sage and blue cheese shortbreads
How to use up leftover fresh sage
- Crispy garnish. Fry a handful of fresh sage leaves in a generous knob of butter. Season, then spoon over fried or poached eggs on toast.
- Herby bean stew. Fry pancetta cubes until golden, then add roughly chopped fresh sage leaves and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Stir in cooked butter/cannellini beans to warm through and finish with a squeeze of lemon.
- Italian tomato sauce. Use fresh sage leaves instead of basil in a traditional tomato sauce for pasta. It’s great baked in pasta shells topped with ricotta and parmesan too.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...