What to do with leftover fresh sage leaves
With strong and earthy flavours, this fresh herb is a star ingredient. Take a look at our list of recipes to decide how you want to use up leftovers.
Recipes using fresh sage leaves
- Sage sausage rolls
- Roast chicken, sage and onion traybake
- Garlic and sage crispy crushed new potatoes
- Lemon and fennel risotto with crisp-fried sage
- Sage and blue cheese shortbreads
How to use up leftover fresh sage
- Crispy garnish. Fry a handful of fresh sage leaves in a generous knob of butter. Season, then spoon over fried or poached eggs on toast.
- Herby bean stew. Fry pancetta cubes until golden, then add roughly chopped fresh sage leaves and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Stir in cooked butter/cannellini beans to warm through and finish with a squeeze of lemon.
- Italian tomato sauce. Use fresh sage leaves instead of basil in a traditional tomato sauce for pasta. It’s great baked in pasta shells topped with ricotta and parmesan too.