Apricot and almond tarte tatin
- August 2014
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 45 min, oven time 30 min
Caramelised apricots and flaked almonds work wonders in this twist on a classic French tarte tatin recipe.
- 14.4g (6.2g saturated)
- 25.1g (13.5g sugars)
- 8-10 fresh, small ripe apricots or 5 large ones (see tips)
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 25g unsalted butter
- Plain flour for dusting
- 375g block all-butter puff pastry or ready-rolled round puff pastry (such as Marie La Pâte Feuilletée, from Ocado)
- 3 tbsp toasted flaked almonds, plus extra for sprinkling
- Halve the apricots, remove the stones and set aside. Put the sugar with 25ml water in a 20cm heavy-based ovenproof frying pan and heat gently. Once the sugar has melted, increase the heat and bubble, without stirring, for 4-5 minutes until it forms a light golden caramel (see tips).
- Remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the butter, taking care as it may spit. Arrange the apricot halves over the caramel, cut-side down, packing them as close together as you can. Set aside to cool completely (see Make Ahead).
- Heat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a £1 coin, or lay out the ready-rolled pastry. Trim to a slightly larger circle than the pan using a 23cm pan or cake tin as a guide.
- Scatter the apricots with the toasted almonds. Lay the pastry over the apricots. Tuck in the edges around the inside of the pan – it will shrink so don’t worry if it looks untidy. Bake for 25-30 minutes until dark golden and puffed.
- Remove the tarte from the oven, leave for 5 minutes, then carefully invert it on to a large serving plate (be careful of the hot caramel). Scatter with the extra almonds.
Make the caramel and arrange the apricots in the frying pan up to a day ahead. When cool, top with the almonds and pastry, then chill until ready to bake.
Don’t overcook the caramel at the beginning – you don’t want it to burn in the oven. Use plums, peaches or nectarines if you can’t find apricots.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...