Bang bang tofu salad
- May 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This fill-you-up salad is gluten-free, vegan and jam-packed with tasty Asian flavours. The bang bang sauce is made with peanut butter, sweet chilli and sesame oil – you’ll go nutty for it.
Prefer something a little meatier? Give our bang bang chicken salad a go.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 21.4g (3.8g saturated)
- 47.2g (9.5g sugars)
- 1 thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- A pinch each of caster sugar and salt
- 170g sushi rice
- 300g tenderstem broccoli
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 x 225g blocks of extra-firm smoked tofu (we like The Tofoo Co, from Waitrose, Tesco and Co-op)
- 50g smooth peanut butter
- 25g gluten-free sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- Pinch of chilli flakes, to serve
- Put the red onion in a small bowl with the red wine vinegar and a pinch each of caster sugar and salt. Set aside for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the sushi rice according to the pack instructions. Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the tenderstem broccoli for 3 minutes, then drain and refresh in a bowl of iced water.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Pat dry the tofu, then fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until lightly golden and crisp. Slice into finger-thick strips.
- Make the bang bang sauce by mixing together the peanut butter, sweet chilli sauce, sesame oil and tamari soy sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning with a pinch of chilli flakes or some extra tamari and loosen with a splash of water, if needed.
- Mix together the rice vinegar and mirin, then stir gently into the cooked rice along with a pinch of salt. Spread the rice over a platter, then top with the cooked broccoli and sliced fried tofu. Drain the red onion and add it to the platter. Drizzle with the peanut sauce, then sprinkle with 1 tsp black sesame seeds and a pinch of chilli flakes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Green noodle and tofu salad with ginger and tamari dressing
Change up your salad game with this Asian-inspired recipe. On the table and ready to...