Blackberry and hazelnut meringue ice cream sundaes
- October 2012
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 20 mins, 2 hours cooking time, plus cooling
Once the meringues are made, this is a quick and easy dessert recipe.
- 35.9g (19.1g saturated)
- 44.5g (43.8g sugars)
- 250g blackberries
- 6 tbsp crème de mûre
- 500ml good-quality vanilla ice cream
- 200ml double cream
For the hazelnut meringues
- 50g shelled hazelnuts
- 2 large free-range egg whites
- 75g caster sugar
- 75g icing sugar, sifted
- To make the hazelnut meringues, preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Spread the hazelnuts over a baking tray and roast for about 8 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool, then finely chop.
- Lower the oven temperature to 110°C/fan90°C/gas ¼. Line a large, heavy-duty baking sheet with baking paper. In a large glass mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks. Gradually add the caster sugar, a spoonful at a time, and whisk to form a stiff and shiny meringue. Sift over the icing sugar, one third at a time, then gently fold into the meringue. Gently fold in the toasted chopped hazelnuts.
- Drop 6 large spoonfuls of the meringue, spaced well apart, onto the lined baking tray. Bake for 2 hours until the meringues are crisp and sound hollow when tapped on the bases. Turn off the oven, then leave the meringues inside until completely cool.
- Put half the blackberries into a mini food processor with the crème de mûre (see tip), then blend together until you have a smooth sauce. This can be made a few hours in advance and chilled in the fridge until needed.
- Shortly before you’re ready to assemble and serve the sundaes, remove the vanilla ice cream from the freezer to soften, either in the fridge for 20-30 minutes or at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whip the double cream until it forms stable (not too stiff) peaks. Crush 3 of the hazelnut meringues into small pieces and fold them in.
- Layer spoonfuls of the blackberry sauce, vanilla ice cream, hazelnut meringue cream and the remaining blackberries in tall sundae glasses. Finish with another drizzle of the sauce and a few blackberries. Serve straightaway.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Dark chocolate recipes
Banana, peanut and caramel chocolate ice cream sundae
Layers of chocolate truffle no-churn ice cream, caramelised bananas and slightly boozy peanut caramel make...