- March 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Make this tasty quesadilla recipe with leftovers from the night before: bolognese sauce is transformed into a meaty Mexican-spiced filling.
- 32.7g (13.7g saturated)
- 30.5g (3.4g sugars)
- 400g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (see tips)
- 1 tbsp sliced pickled jalapeño chillies from a jar, roughly chopped
- 250g beef bolognese sauce (we used leftover easy midweek spaghetti bolognese; see tips)
- Handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 200g monterey jack cheese, grated (see Know-how)
- 2 large wheat tortillas
- Soured cream to serve
For the avocado salsa
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- ½ fresh jalapeño chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Juice ½ lime, plus wedges to serve
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a medium bowl, mix the drained red kidney beans, pickled jalapeños, bolognese sauce and chopped fresh coriander leaves. Divide the mixture, along with the grated cheese, between the tortillas. Fold each tortilla in half to encase the filling.
- Heat a large dry frying pan over a low-medium heat and toast the quesadillas one at a time for 2-3 minutes on each side until the filling is hot, the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crisp and golden on the outside. Keep warm.
- While the quesadillas cook, mix all the salsa ingredients together in a small bowl and season to taste with a little salt.
- Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve with the salsa, soured cream and lime wedges on the side to squeeze over.
To stretch your leftovers even further, add a small tin of sweetcorn, some roughly chopped red pepper or a handful of cherry tomatoes to the filling. We’ve used red kidney beans, but black beans, pinto beans or cannellini beans (white kidney beans) would all work well.
Monterey jack is a semi-hard cheese from the United States. If you can’t find it, use gouda, Cheshire cheese or a combination of cheddar and mozzarella.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...