Broccoli and stilton soup
- February 2021
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 13-14 min
Broccoli and stilton is a classic flavour combination, and this verdant green homemade version of the traditional soup can be made as creamy or as cheesy as you like.
Or, warm up wintry days with a pan of this potato, leek and stilton soup.
- 12.9g (7.2g saturated)
- 4.6g (3g sugars)
- 1 head broccoli, florets trimmed, stalk chopped
- Knob of butter for frying
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped (or 2 large salad onions)
- 2 vegetable stock pots/cubes
- 150g stilton, crumbled
You’ll also need
- Bowl of iced water
- Stick blender or blender
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the broccoli florets and blanch for 3-4 minutes until tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl of ice water and set aside. Pour the cooking water into a large measuring jug and top up with fresh water so you have 1.5 litres in total. Set aside with the broccoli.
- To the same pan, add the butter and a splash of oil. Add the broccoli stalks and remaining veg, season, then cook over a medium-low heat until softened – about 8-10 minutes.
- Add back the cooking water with the stock pots, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli florets to heat through, then use a stick blender (or a regular blender if you prefer) to purée the soup until smooth (see Make Ahead). Check the seasoning and stir in the stilton (or serve it alongside; see tip).
For fussy eaters, serve the stilton separately. If you like creamy soups, add 100ml double or single cream and warm through or, if you’re feeling fancy, add a swirl of cream to your bowl.
Cool, then freeze in portions in sealed bags or containers for up to 3 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter