Bruschetta with tomatoes, pancetta and confit chilli
- September 2009
- 4 slices of bread, preferably sourdough
- 200g pancetta or streaky bacon cut in to lardons
- 4-6 ripe tomatoes
- 6 fresh, fleshy chillies
- 250 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- Small handful of flat leaf parsley
- Slice the chillies open from tip to tail, remove the seeds with a spoon and discard, slice the chilli into strips. Place in a small sauce pan cover with olive oil and throw in a few of the thyme leaves. Bring the pan up to the most gentle of simmers and cook the chillies until soft, this should take about 25mins. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
- Pre heat the grill. Drizzle a little of the chilli confit oil over the bread slices and toast for a couple of minutes on each side. When toasted rub them over with the chilli confit and clove of garlic.
- Rinse the tomatoes under the cold tap. Slice them thickly.
- Fry the pancetta for 4- 5 mins in a large frying pan. As it’s starting to colour remove from the heat, gently add the sliced tomatoes, the remaining thyme leaves, toss together and season to taste.
- Pile the tomatoes onto the bruschetta. Scatter over the confit chilli, and parsley leaves. Serve at once.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Italian starter recipes
Lemon ricotta bruschetta with Tenderstem and heirloom tomatoes
Need a quick, seasonal starter to a spring meal or...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter