Butterscotch sponge cake with cream cheese frosting
- October 2005
- Serves 8
- Hands on time 50 mins, plus 25 mins baking time
Indulge your friends and family with this luscious butterscotch cake recipe. This easy sponge cake is sandwiched and topped with cream cheese frosting. Drizzle butterscotch icing over the top and sides to serve.
You’ll also love our versatile classic sponge recipe, which suits any number of fillings.
- 225g softened butter
- 125g Billington’s Light Muscovado Sugar
- 100g Billington’s Golden Caster Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk, if needed
- 400g full-fat cream cheese
For the butterscotch sauce
- 50g butter
- 75g Billington’s Light Muscovado Sugar
- 50g Billington’s Golden Granulated Sugar
- 150g runny honey
- 120ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Grease and line the bases of 2 x 20cm sandwich tins with non-stick baking paper.
- Make the sauce. Put the butter, both sugars and the honey in a pan and stir over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until smooth. Stir in the cream and vanilla extract and cool.
- Meanwhile, make the cake. Beat the butter with a wooden spoon until soft. Add the sugars and beat together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a dessertspoonful of flour with each egg. Beat in the vanilla. Fold in the remaining flour and a little milk, if necessary, to give a mixture that drops reluctantly off the spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for about 25 minutes until they start to shrink from the sides and a skewer inserted into the centres comes away clean. Sit on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out onto the rack and leave until completely cold.
- Beat the cream cheese in a bowl until smooth, then beat in 8 tablespoons of the sauce. Place 1 cake on a serving plate and spread with half the frosting. Place the other cake on top and cover with the rest of the frosting. Drizzle another 2-3 tablespoons of the sauce over the top of the cake.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...