Butterscotch sponge cake with cream cheese frosting
- October 2005
- Serves 8
- Hands on time 50 mins, plus 25 mins baking time
Indulge your friends and family with this luscious butterscotch cake recipe.
- 225g softened butter
- 125g Billington’s Light Muscovado Sugar
- 100g Billington’s Golden Caster Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk, if needed
- 400g full-fat cream cheese
For the butterscotch sauce
- 50g butter
- 75g Billington’s Light Muscovado Sugar
- 50g Billington’s Golden Granulated Sugar
- 150g runny honey
- 120ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Grease and line the bases of 2 x 20cm sandwich tins with non-stick baking paper.
- Make the sauce. Put the butter, both sugars and the honey in a pan and stir over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until smooth. Stir in the cream and vanilla extract and cool.
- Meanwhile, make the cake. Beat the butter with a wooden spoon until soft. Add the sugars and beat together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a dessertspoonful of flour with each egg. Beat in the vanilla. Fold in the remaining flour and a little milk, if necessary, to give a mixture that drops reluctantly off the spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for about 25 minutes until they start to shrink from the sides and a skewer inserted into the centres comes away clean. Sit on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out onto the rack and leave until completely cold.
- Beat the cream cheese in a bowl until smooth, then beat in 8 tablespoons of the sauce. Place 1 cake on a serving plate and spread with half the frosting. Place the other cake on top and cover with the rest of the frosting. Drizzle another 2-3 tablespoons of the sauce over the top of the cake.
Rate & review