Chipotle chicken chilli with avocado
- April 2017
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 35 min, simmering time 65 min
The secret ingredient in this chipotle chicken chilli? A bottle of Corona. It takes this spicy Mexican one-pot to a whole new level.
- 13.3g (2.6g saturated)
- 25g (10.5g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 6 British free-range skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 3cm pieces
- 330ml bottle Mexican lager (we used Corona)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- Small bunch fresh coriander, stalks finely chopped, leaves roughly chopped
- 90g chipotle paste
- 2 x 400g tins kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 large ripe avocado
- Juice 1 lime, plus 6 wedges
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced
- 12 small white flour tortillas
- 1 red onion, finely sliced, soaked in cold water, then drained
- Soured cream
- Heat the oil in a largepan over a medium heat and fry the chopped onions for 10 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and cumin and fry for a minute. Add the chicken and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Pour in the beer, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes until reduced by three quarters.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, coriander stalks and chipotle paste, then simmer gently for 40 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the beans and chilli flakes, then cook for 10 minutes. Add most of the chopped coriander leaves, taste and season.
- To serve, peel and slice the avocado into a bowl, then toss with the lime juice and chilli. Set a griddle/frying pan over a high heat, then char the tortillas for 20-30 seconds each. Pile the chilli, soaked onion and avocado on each tortilla, scatter with the rest of the coriander leaves, then serve with lime wedges and soured cream.
Soaking the sliced onion in water takes away a bit of its fierceness.
Make the chilli up to 24 hours in advance, cover and keep in the fridge. Prepare the avocado just before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy chicken recipes
Chilli-marinated chicken kebabs with sweet shallot and chickpea salad
Chunks of grilled chicken coated in a smoky aleppo chilli marinade sit atop a chickpea,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...