Chorizo chicken with chickpea and rocket salad
- July 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make and 25-30 minutes to barbecue
This chorizo chicken recipe works just as well on the barbecue as it does cooked indoors. Check our tips on how to do both.
- 36.8g (6.6g saturated)
- 41.2g (12.5g sugar)
- 8 thin slices chorizo
- 8 chicken thighs with skin
- 2 x 410g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- About 280g jar roasted mixed peppers in oil
- 50g wild rocket
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, plus lemon wedges to serve
- Handful chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the barbecue. Place a chorizo slice under the skin of each chicken thigh, then season all over. Cook, covered, on the hot barbecue for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway, or until lightly charred and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a sharp knife.
- Meanwhile, tip the chickpeas into a large bowl. Drain the peppers (reserve the oil) and roughly chop. Add to the chickpeas with the rocket.
- In a small bowl, mix 4 tablespoons of the reserved oil with the lemon juice, then season to taste. Pour over the chickpeas, add the parsley and toss everything together.
- Serve 2 chorizo chicken thighs per person, with the chickpea and rocket salad and some lemon wedges to squeeze over.
If you don’t have a barbecue with a lid (known as a kettle barbecue and ideal for bone-in meats and large joints), then cook the chicken in an oven preheated to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 for 20 minutes, turning halfway. Finish on the barbecue for 5-10 minutes, until cooked through and charred.
To cook indoors: Cook the chicken in the oven (see tip) then finish in a griddle or frying pan, in batches, for 5-10 minutes, until cooked through.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chipotle-griddled chicken salad with chorizo and quinoa
Diana Henry’s warm chipotle-griddled chicken salad recipe is made with avocado, spinach, spring onions and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...