Chorizo chicken with chickpea and rocket salad
- July 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make and 25-30 minutes to barbecue
This chorizo chicken recipe works just as well on the barbecue as it does cooked indoors. Check our tips on how to do both.
- 36.8g (6.6g saturated)
- 41.2g (12.5g sugar)
- 8 thin slices chorizo
- 8 chicken thighs with skin
- 2 x 410g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- About 280g jar roasted mixed peppers in oil
- 50g wild rocket
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, plus lemon wedges to serve
- Handful chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the barbecue. Place a chorizo slice under the skin of each chicken thigh, then season all over. Cook, covered, on the hot barbecue for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway, or until lightly charred and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a sharp knife.
- Meanwhile, tip the chickpeas into a large bowl. Drain the peppers (reserve the oil) and roughly chop. Add to the chickpeas with the rocket.
- In a small bowl, mix 4 tablespoons of the reserved oil with the lemon juice, then season to taste. Pour over the chickpeas, add the parsley and toss everything together.
- Serve 2 chorizo chicken thighs per person, with the chickpea and rocket salad and some lemon wedges to squeeze over.
If you don’t have a barbecue with a lid (known as a kettle barbecue and ideal for bone-in meats and large joints), then cook the chicken in an oven preheated to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 for 20 minutes, turning halfway. Finish on the barbecue for 5-10 minutes, until cooked through and charred.
To cook indoors: Cook the chicken in the oven (see tip) then finish in a griddle or frying pan, in batches, for 5-10 minutes, until cooked through.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chipotle-griddled chicken salad with chorizo and quinoa
Diana Henry’s warm chipotle-griddled chicken salad recipe is made with avocado, spinach, spring onions and...