- November 2020
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 10 min, simmering time 10 min, plus cooling
The ultimate Christmas party food, devilled eggs are about as moreish as canapés get. Popular, simple to make and colourful, devilled eggs are a must try. Try them with gravlax or smoked salmon, mackerel pate, and a potato salad or rye bread for a complete meal!
If devilled eggs aren’t your thing, these quail’s eggs with dips might be up your street.
- 6g (1.2g saturated)
- 0.1g (0.1g sugars)
- 6 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp mustard (we used English)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Good pinch paprika
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
You’ll also need…
- Large bowl of iced water; mini food processor; piping bag fitted with star nozzle (optional; see tip)
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Use a slotted spoon to lower in the eggs, then boil for 10 minutes. Drain the eggs and run under cold water until cool enough to handle, then use your hands to transfer them to the bowl of iced water until cold (this will take about 10 minutes).
- Carefully peel the eggs and slice in half. Scoop out the cooked yolks into the bowl of the mini processor and add the mayonnaise, mustard, olive oil and paprika. Blend until the mixture is smooth, adding a splash of cold water to loosen it if needed and seasoning with a little salt. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a nozzle (see tip).
- Set the halved egg whites on a platter, pipe in the yolk mixture, then sprinkle with chives and freshly ground black pepper to serve.
This recipe can easily be scaled up or down to fit your party. Next time, swap mustard for sriracha, kimchee or mango chutney. If you don’t have a piping bag, simply spoon in the filling in using a teaspoon.
The eggs will keep covered in the fridge up to a few hours ahead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Taleggio and chutney griddled toastie fingers
Serve these gooey griddled taleggio and chutney toastie fingers as a snack for a hungry...
Pan-fried figs, serrano ham, cream cheese and walnuts on toast
Spanish chef Omar Allibhoy puts sweet figs, creamy cheese, salty ham and crunchy walnuts on...
More food for thought...
Get your party off to a stylish start...
Vegetarian Christmas canapé recipes
Serve up these vegetarian Christmas canapé recipes to...
Vegetarian Christmas starter recipes
Christmas dinner for vegetarians will be wonderful with...
Impress this Christmas and New Year's Eve with...
Christmas Eve dinner recipes
If, like us, you love the continental approach...