- November 2020
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 10 min, simmering time 10 min, plus cooling
The ultimate Christmas party food: devilled eggs look the part and are as moreish as canapés get. No matter how big your number this Christmas, these devilled eggs are a must try. Try with gravlax or smoked salmon, mackerel pate, and a potato salad or rye bread for a complete meal!
If devilled eggs aren’t your thing, these quails eggs with dips might be up your street.
- 6g (1.2g saturated)
- 0.1g (0.1g sugars)
- 6 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- Bowl of iced water
- 1 tsp mustard (we used English)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Good pinch paprika, plus extra to dust
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
You’ll also need…
- Mini food processor; piping bag fitted with star nozzle
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, lower in the eggs using a spoon, then cook for 10 minutes. Drain the eggs, run under cold water until cool enough to handle, then put in a bowl with iced water until cold (about 10 minutes).
- Carefully peel the eggs and slice in half. Scoop out the cooked yolks and put in a bowl with the mayonnaise, mustard, olive oil and a pinch of paprika, then mash with a fork. Scrape into a mini food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth, adding a splash of cold water to loosen if needed and seasoning with a little salt. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a nozzle.
- Set the halved egg whites on a platter, pipe in the yolk mixture, then sprinkle with paprika, chives and freshly ground black pepper to serve.
This recipe can easily be scaled up or down to fit your party. Next time: swap mustard for sriracha, kimchee or mango chutney. If you don’t have a piping bag you can spoon the filling in using a teaspoon
The eggs will keep covered in the fridge up to a few hours ahead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Get your party off to a stylish start...
Vegetarian Christmas canapé recipes
Serve up these vegetarian Christmas canapé recipes to...
Vegetarian Christmas starter recipes
Christmas dinner for vegetarians will be wonderful with...
Impress this Christmas and New Year's Eve with...
Christmas Eve dinner recipes
If, like us, you love the continental approach...